Windows Server 2012 R2 SetupBy Dag, on December 30th, 2016
A lot of the settings needed in 2008 R2 are already in place. But there are also some changes, so I'm noting them down.
- Install as UEFI, not MBR. (Rufus GPT & FAT32).
- Install Drivers and Windows Updates.
- Check SSD OS Trim Function (fsutil, activated by default).
SERVERMANAGER.EXE (No Longer .MSC)
- Configure Server Name and Ethernet.
- Configure RDP and Set Up Users.
- Install the Windows Server Backup feature.
- Install the Network Load Balancing feature (Provides wbadmin.exe).
- Install the .NET Framework 3.5 feature (misc. software requires it).
- Install Hyper-V.
Disabled host sharing of virtual switches in the manager.
Host and VM's will have separate and dedicated NIC's.
TSCONFIG.MSC - Is No More!
- Win+X > Computer Management > Users > Sessions
Set RDP timout and reconnection settings here.
- Remember GPEDIT.MSC settings for more secure RDP.
Set up whatever which sparks an interest...
- StableBit DrivePool & Scanner